October 12, 2012 Jackson Madison School Board Meeting
Jackson Madison County School Board decides on a retirement plan, accepts a proposal to contract a recruiter for a new superintendent search, discusses the upcoming board retreat, and sends a plan for emergency shelter to the county commission
At Tuesday's Jackson Madison County School Board meeting the board had several items to act on from their Monday work session on the agenda.
Madison County Finance Director Mike Nichols reported several routine budget amendments and had the Sales Tax collection figures from the prior month. Collections for the dollars that primarily funds education were up 1.4% over projection for the year. Nichols called it a good report.
The future of a retirement plan for non certified new hire school employees was on the agenda. At Monday's work session board members heard from Steve Little and Brad Little of ING. The board came to the issue as a result of action the county took some time back when the commissioners withdrew county employees from the State Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System and opted for the privately managed ING. At that time they stated the move would not affect JMC School employees however the state ruled that all non certified school employees were included and were to be removed.
AUDIO- Keith Sherley spoke with Brad Little after Monday nights meeting and Little had these comments
The board voted to accept the ING proposal. New hires after July 1 of this year will have the option to participate in the defined contribution plan effective immediately
AUDIO- After the meeting Keith Sherley spoke with Superintendent Buddy White (10-11-2012 cut 1 Supt BWhite)
During Monday's work session the school board members heard about a plan that County Mayor Harris. Deputy Mayor White, and EMA Director Marty Clements have been working on to apply for a grant to retrofit emergency shelters in two schools. The schools planned are East Elementary and Pope Middle schools. At the work session the members heard from Danny Shauss about planning that has been underway for some time to build two tornado safe shelters.
This grant and proposal is planned and led by Madison County EMA Director Clements who is very ambitious about seeking out grant dollars for district projects. The FEMA grant total is $3,410,566 (75%) the remaining 25% would be split between the state and the county. The board who was hearing about the proposal officially for the first time at the work session was told that due to time constraints they had to act immediately or lose the FEMA grant.
The board voted to send the grant to the county for consideration. Finance Director Mike Nichols said the grant dollars would have to flow through the county and said the county portion would likely come from the school budget.
AUDIO- Keith Sherley spoke with finance director Mike Nichols (10-11-2012- cut 2 M Nichols)
October 12, 2012 News Jackson Madison School Board Meeting
The school board had heard two presentations by groups asked to submit proposals to assist and facilitate the board in their search for a new director of schools
TSBA and BWP are the two organizations that were asked to provide a proposal.
At the board meeting the board members without discussion a motion was made to accept BWP's proposal to facilitate in the search for the next superintendent.
Janice Hampton made the motion, seconded by Jeff Head. The vote was a tie with four in favor and four against, and Bob Alvey abstaining due to his position as TSBA Executive Chair.
At that point Jim Campbell stated that he was willing to change his vote and believed that either would do a good job but he would like for board members to have some discussion. Board Chairman David Clifft also said he was willing to change his vote.
There was a brief discussion where those who favored BWP stated why the preferred their participation which largely centered around the perception that they would conduct a better nationwide search.
A second vote ended six in favor and two opposed with Bob Alvey abstaining.
AUDIO- After the meeting Keith Sherley spoke with Jeff Head who supported BWP and with George Neely who along with Maria Mitchell voted no to the proposal.
Copyright © 2012 JacksonsNewsTalk.com. All Rights Reserved.